Monday, June 12, 2006

shouting out His name

Yesterday afternoon, my 4-year old Katherine and I went on a walk. It's on a pedestrian walkway on a bridge over the Missouri river. As we were walking, as I often do on outings, I asked her who made things such as the river, the trees, the sky and so on. Now, being the reformed 4 year-old that she is, she, of course knew that God made these things. I didn't just ask her these things though, I, for entertainment purposes, started yelling them, and then she would yell back "GOD"!!!! It was quite a sight! A man and his daughter on a public bridge yelling out such things. I decided to stretch our game a little, and I started asking her questions from the Children's Catechism. Again, quite the sight as I would yell "WHO MADE YOU!!?", and she would respond, "GOD"! It continued "WHY DID HE MAKE YOU?!" "FOR HIS OWN GLORY!", she would yell back with a big laugh and with her hair blowing in the wind.
I didn't think much about it at the time, but here we were, yelling out God's truth for any and all who happened to be venturing out for a leisurely walk that afternoon. As we did this, I felt a real sense of joy and understanding of the "hugeness" of God. I did a quick scan of the Bible, and find that shouting is quite an acceptable and common form of praise. What a wonderful thing to be able to stand in the middle of God's creation, shouting at the top of our lungs, acknowledging His glory and goodnes.
As I further reflected on it last nite and this morning, I wondered when the last time that I had "yelled" out God's truths to anyone - either by my words or my actions. Children are so willing to say the truth, and say it boldly, but somewhere along the way, we become afraid of saying things we know are the truth.

No comments: