Tuesday, June 27, 2006

dancing in mud

When I became a believer in 1992, someone wise told me that there were really two parts to the Gospel message. The first part was that we were sinners, doomed from the start, with no way out. That part wasn't hard for me to grasp. Ask anyone who knows me well, and they will say that I would probably have no problem grasping the truth of my depravity. The second part, though, has always been much harder, much to my chagrin. One would think that knowing and believing that God's grace, forgiveness and mercy would be bigger than anything my sin could dish up would be not only great encouragement, but cause for me to drop the sad-sack act, and rejoice in the great things He has given me - and to give him thanks for lifting me out of the mud. But, of course, I would defy the common train of thought, and I find myself muddling through the mud, even when I know that God has given me so much. I look around and see all He has given me, yet somehow my eyes are closed to those things, and instead, focused on the frustration, anger and the annoyances in my life.
Yep - I'm overweight and growing older, but I have so much to show for it. I have a family, friends who truly love me and God's grace and mercy washing over me each and every day - whether I remember it or not. Wouldn't you think that would be enough?

No comments: