Tuesday, June 20, 2006

outta here.....

It's always a tricky thing when I leave town for business. Luckily, I have a job that doesn't take me away from home very much - something both Julie and I are thankful for. But, on those occaisions when travel is called for, I always struggle with the fact that I enjoy going to most of the conferences I attend for the reason that most everyone there is inspired and motivated to do the work they're called to do. That fact is somewhat not the case in my office, so it's great to get out and feel that what I do is worthwhile, that it truly is a calling.
On the other hand, I face the downside of leaving my family. I'm probably way too in touch with my "emotional" side, but I love being around my family. As I've discussed before, part of that is just the validation that I get from spending time with my wife and girls - they too make are a "calling".
Here's where the conflict comes - doing something that takes me away from one calling to remind me of my other calling. I just wish all of my "callings" could work together and work in a way that I wouldn't feel that one of them has to be set aside.
I guess this is truly the result of sin - when God told Adam he would have to "work the land". My "land" is my job, and that job takes me away from my family. Without sin, I guess there wouldn't be that tension and pulling between the hats that I wear.
After waxing philosophical about a simple business trip, the blessing that I have is that soon after my return from my trip, I will get to focus on the calling of my family with a great vacation! Even in the sight of struggle, the rewards that we have are many - Praise God!

No comments: