Thursday, April 17, 2008

Why Blog?

It seems like every few months, I find myself thinking that I should sit down and continue the blog I started so faithfully several years ago. Usually, some event happens that makes me wish I would write things down. But, many times, I've stopped short, because I've wondered what the purpose of putting everything down in a blog really is.
I think in some ways, we blog out of a sense of self-importance. We have things occur in our lives, and we feel the need to share them with others around because we think everyone needs to know. It's a socially acceptable way of saying "Look at me. See what I'm doing. Take notice of my life". I find that somewhat offensive, and definitely not a Biblical reasoning.
Another reason, and I can't take personal credit for this reason for blogging, is that blogging becomes a sort of therapy. We put all of our thoughts and musings down because we as humans, are inanately social and communal. We have the built-in need for community - the need to share. When significant events happen, one of the ways we process those needs is by making them a part of our community - calling someone on the phone, telling things to our neighbors and close friends. Blogging takes the place of that for some. That is also an unfortunate side-effect of our society today - that many of us don't have the "real" outlets in our community to share the events that make up who we are. We find the need to use the blog as our therpeutic and community outlet.
Finally (and my list is not exhaustive, I'm sure) there is the reason of journalling. We want to blog so that in the future we can look back and remember that time in our lives. I used to journal when I was in school, and even now, when I look back, the feelings and emotions that I was experiencing come back quite vividly as I read journal entries from years ago. Entries from times in my life that are so different from my life now that unless I wrote things down, I would have no way of experiencing those emotions again.
So, with that analysis, I'm going to start blogging again. Why am I blogging? I'd like to think that it's the journalling that I'm going after. Perhaps there are tinges of the others mixed in, but the joy of being able to look back, years from now, and experienece the blessings and the struggles - that is my desire why. If I find myself leaning farther into the other reason - a reason that I perceive as a "not so good" reason, I may stop again - who knows.

No comments: