Friday, December 15, 2006

burning at both ends

It has been a week like no other that I have ever experienced, but I fear it is just the beginning of similar weeks in the near future. I spent most of my energy - physical, spiritual and emotional dealing with death. I saw the final chapter in the death of a little girl 10 days old, and I saw what I believe to be the first chapter in the last weeks and months of my mother's life - two very similar experiences coming from both ends of life.
Each of these circumstances were exhausting in their own way. For Meghan, it has been a long journey for Julie and I, trying to serve the family in anyway possible for the past few weeks. We watched Karen and Steve go through so many emotions, but yet tried to stay a little ahead of the emotional part of the circumstance so that we could help them with basic every day things - meals, childcare and so on. Yet, somehow when all of this ended this week, there was a chance to just stop and reflect on how God has worked in so many people's lives through this experience. It was something that I don't think we had really done as it was all happening.
The chance to stop and reflect was cut a little short as the medical situation with my mom took center stage as this week began. She had her biopsy on Monday, and was released from the hosptial awaiting results. Unfortunately, her time since she's come home has not been easy. Her medications have taken a toll on her physically, and taken probably an even greater toll on my Dad as he seeks to care for her in this phase.
I have truly tried to do what I can, but I find myself drained in every way possible, and the thoughts that have started as I witness her situation have tossed me into every emotional realm possible. My emotions have gone from guilt to sadness to denial to exhaustion. I struggle with the difficulties in our relationship, and yet, I see that unless she improves, those issues are ones that may not ever be confronted.

No comments: