Sunday, November 12, 2006

turning over another leaf

It was quite a Sunday at Covenant Church, and although I've desired to use this blog to share my thoughts on Sunday sermons, I thought it also appropriate to share a few words about the excitment going on at our church, and the impact that some of it has had on me personally.
Our church has been without a senior pastor for about 17 months, and today, Ryan Laughlin, visited and preached in anticipation of being called to that position in the next couple weeks. It was an exciting morning and frankly, the electricity in the air at Covenant this morning was quite something. It was wonderful to see the high interest level and the high attendance level at church - something that we haven't probably really felt in quite some time. It made me wonder though, how real this process is. We had a crowd at the 8:30 service, the likes of haven't been in a long time, and it seemed that everyone, the choir, the ushers, everyone was on their best behavior. It all made me wonder how real this whole process really is. It felt like one feels when you are little and company comes over for Sunday dinner. The fine china is out, the children are on their best behavior and in their finest clothes. But the question is, is that how a long-term relationship - like the one needed between a pastor and congregation - really is started? It just seems that it wasn't quite real.
Ryan's sermon moved me deeply though. He spoke about the passage of Zaccheus, and how the story of Zaccheus is really the story of Christ's inviation to each of us. He spoke of how our relationship with Christ is often like a game of Marco Polo - the famed hide-and-go-seek game in the swimming pool. Ryan stated that although our relationship may often seem like us reaching out, trying to find Christ with our eyes close, the reality of that relationship is Christ reaching out and us running away. This truly convicted me, and I continue to realize and am drawn in by the thoughts of the necessity of a closer relationship with Christ at this point in my life.
it has been a lot of the realization of the potential leadership that I am about to embark on at Covenant that has caused me to be challenged as to the depth and desire of my Christian walk, and to hear the example today of our running away from Christ makes me realize that I am truly in that problem as well as others. Often, throughout the days, I realize that I could draw myself closer to Christ through prayer or Bible reading, yet for no apparent reason, I run the other way, finding other things to do with my time. I realize that as a leader (although it's not a good reason for doing it), I may be called upon to respond to the needs of others more frequently. If it truly is my desire to assist others with those needs, I need to be prepared - mentally, physically and spiritually.
All of this sounds good, and all of this has probably been in my thought pattern before, but to hear a preacher, who doesn't know the first thing about me, speak to me through his message today, makes me realize the call to take action is coming from Christ, not from some delusion inside me. What I do to respond is another question - will it be the same as before? To some extent, probably yes. But hopefully, it will also be a wake-up call that uses my desire to lead well that draws me to serve Christ well also.

No comments: