Friday, August 08, 2008

Letting Go

One of the most difficult things for me to do is to let go of control of many different aspects of my life. This is most clearly reflected in the work I do. I have (or some may say "had") a passion for many aspects of my work, but as I have stayed in my present job, I have become more and more frustrated with the fact that the control I have over various aspects of my job gets less and less. It's kind of twisted in that in conventional wisdom, it would seem that you gain more control over aspects of work the longer you work someplace. But, in my case, for some reason, it is the opposite. The longer I work here, the less control it appears I have over the parts of my job that I'm passionate about.
To resolve this conflict, I have two choices:
1. Try to fight for more control;
2. Let go.

It's the letting go that is honestly starting to win out. I have found that in more and more situations, I realize that my job is not the be all and the end all, and that I just need to let go. It's very hard for me to do that because I love and believe in what I do, and it is often the case that others around me don't. They deal with things in a haphazard and non-nonchalant manner, that often causes me to cringe and bite my tongue. It's so hard, and yet, I think it's what God is teaching me to do. I have come to see that there is so much more in my life that should mean so much more.

Then.... what happens when those other things that mean more begin to fall from my grasp... Uh Oh...

No comments: