Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Fall Breezes - Part 1

The cool August temperatures have reminded me that summer is coming to a close. It has been a wonderful summer - God has truly blessed me with some fantastic family time. My work has been a source of a wide variety of emotions, and so the family time has been a great encouragement to me.

The pool was a big part of our summer. It was also a place where I saw my kids really grow and mature. Both Katherine and Elizabeth started the summer with a lot of "pool apprehension". Katherine was thrilled by the fact she could touch bottom, but didn't really like to put her head under water. Elizabeth was afraid of the water - no other way to put it. She would barely agree to allow her feet to be in the water, and would fuss when we picked her up and held on to her in the pool.

By the end of the "pool time" this summer, Elizabeth was jumping (with me catching her), swimming on her pool noodle (by herself, unbeknownst to her) and loving to be thrown up in the air. Katherine enjoyed a great swim lesson teacher and has really come of age in the pool. Although she cannot swim by herself, she is gaining some coordination and strength, and is excited to continue lessons this fall. She also (with a little encouragement) will repeatedly put her head under water and jump off the side without being caught.



Christopher has not met a body of water he doesn't love. He has enjoyed the big pool from Day 1! He loves to be pulled around in the water and when we sit him on the side, he loves to lean right over, totally trusting that we'll catch him!

It has truly been a wonderful summer, being blessed enough to experience my kids so much of the time. We've had a lot of fun, and I believe God has really given us the time together to grow in our love for each other, and in my case, my love and thankfulness for Him.

No comments: