Friday, June 27, 2008

Why in the World?

OK, so I just got back from court, and after listening to a guy in my officer and a defense attorney argue over a sentencing on a guy, I honestly began to wonder why I'm doing the job I'm doing. Most of the time in this hearing was taken up by sarcastic banter and argument over whether the defendant is a "changed man", or whether he's blowing a lot of hot air. As I listened to the two of them go back and forth, I realized that I am completely out of my element. Both of them argue things to the extreme, and do it in the name of "justice". The fact of the matter is that quite a bit of this goes on in court. People run loose and wild with facts, and instead of basing their arguments on facts and judicial issues, they go back and forth, and in the end, the judges sometimes buy into it, failing to do anything close to rational, but instead based on political soundness and "CYA".
Between this and the fact that there is a constant line of attorneys who spend their time calling my boss for a favor instead of practicing real law, I am beginning to wonder whether I belong in this type of environment. If I'm here, and if I'm supposed to be here, shouldn't there be some opportunity for me to make a difference, or am I just being naive and short-sighted?
Finally, to top everything off, the defendant in this above hearing began quoting scripture from the stand. He quoted I Corinthians, explaining how everyone who is in Christ is a new creation, in a very thinly veiled attempt to persuade the judge to give him probation, and not to accept responsibility for his actions.
This is all so screwed up, and simply blaming it on the fall doesn't satisfy me. Where do I fit into this crazy system, and what hope can I have of accomplishing anything with a bunch of people (me included sometimes), who attempt to do nothing but satisfy their egos and their desires to hear themselves talk?
Just some simple thoughts and questions to kick off your weekend.

No comments: