Saturday, July 05, 2008

Wonderful Distractions


I am thankful that the Lord has given me distraction. It is a wonderful blessing that after only one day away from my office, the Lord has blessed me with the distraction of my life to cause me to relax and enjoy His blessings. I spent a wonderful 4th of July with my family yesterday. It was one of those days that was a blessing in that I saw something through my chidlren's simple eyes and savored that joy. We had the opportuity to go to their first parade in the morning, and then I topped off the day with a "daddy-daughter" date with Katherine on the St. Charles riverfront to ride carnival rides and take in the fireworks. It was an evening of pure, childlike pleasure. For whatever reason, we had never taken the kids to parade or to carnival rides, and after having done so, I found myself vowing to continue to expose the kids to more new experiences. They are coming to the age when new things aren't always scary, and it is a joy to see the fun in their eyes and hear it in their squeals.

The joy continued throughout the weekend as the girls became completely focused on sparklers and fireworks (OK, Katheirne likes the fireworks, Elizabeth does not - yet). I confess my pyrotechnic male side was thrilled at their interest, and at the fact that on July 6, they were sad that the fireworks tents were coming down til next year.

It has been a great weekend, and the week looks good too - God has provided me a wonderful respite from work.

No comments: