Friday, June 20, 2008

A Good Man

A guy from church that I know and respect called me a "good man" today. Funny how those words happen after a day that shows that I'm far from "good".
I had a crummy day today. It actually started off relatively good, but I slowly became frustrated with many aspects of my life. The over-arching theme of my frustration, though, was that I found myself becoming frustrated with aspects of my personality and personalities of some people around me as well. I struggled for a good part of the day what to do with that frustration.
If I did what many around me at my office do, I would complain to others around me. I would "vent" or (more honestly) degrade those around me and the frustrations I had as they didn't conform to my wishes or whims. I really wanted to do that, and actually, in one instance, I may have done such. It's really hard not to do that. I find myself wanting to "vent", all in the name of getting things off my chest or trying to justify how I feel. But for whatever reason, today, I really was focused on whether that was the right thing to do. Is it right for me to complain or to gossip at the expense of other people? I know, somewhere, that Scripture says "no", but that leaves me with the question of what to do.
I bottle it up inside, and then I find myself realizing that I'm holding grudges, waiting for others around me to respond as I remain quiet. I get annoyed - upset even - that people don't see that I am frustrated and annoyed.
I know that the "bottling up" isn't really good either. It leaves me with grudges, and leaves me waiting for answers and apologies that sometimes I may not get - and when I don't, the annoyance becomes more pronounced.
So, back to square one - what do I do with the frustration. I really don't have the answer - other than the pat answer of "prayer". I know it would help, but I don't know how much it would resolve.
At this point, I'm not sure what to do. I just know that a large part of my day was wasted dealing with people who annoyed me, and then dealing with the results of those interactions.
So, this is a "good man"? I'm not sure, but I will say that after the day I had, it was encouraging to hear it.

No comments: