Tuesday, May 20, 2008

A Sailor's Son Looks at 82

So, in the midst of all the excitement at our house, an important date has kind of slipped, but not really. Today is my Dad's birthday - 82 years and going strong. In the midst of my Mom's death, my relationship with my Dad has taken on a new significance and a new closeness. My Dad and I are very different people. First of all, my Dad was the first McGyver. He can concoct ways to fix things with whatever happens to be around - I guess in the old days, they called that resourceful. I call it amazing. I am one of the worst home improvement people on the planet, so even in the early stages of my middle years, I often find myself calling my Dad to ask him what he can do when something at our house is broken. It is amazing what he comes up with! Anyways, it continues to astound me. Also, my Dad is practical, down to earth and not really a detail person - the small stuff isn't a big problem to him, and it is so wonderful to see how someone lives in the moment and doesn't worry about everything - he just does it. All of this is so "not me", and there are many times that I wish I could be so much more like him.
These practical personality traits have become very helpful to him since my Mom has died, and he just picks up and does what he needs to do. We have offered time and time again to do the tasks that my Mom used to do, but he's taken on those things, and in some small way, I think he finds real accomplishment in preparing meals and doing laundry. We're slowly learning to let him do it, because he needs that kind of self-value right now.
I am very proud of the way he has moved into the next phase of his life since my Mom has gone. I know there is hurt and pain, and in the past few weeks, we have really begun to share some of that with each other. Before, my Dad was the perennial German farmer, not really sharing a whole lot. Fortunately, as we've grown closer in his later years, we've become closer.
In many ways, I am very different than my Dad, but as our relationship grows and changes, I see both of us becoming very similar. We both love children, and we both love sharing our hearts with our families. I am very thankful for the quiet love that he had for me, and I am very thankful for the love that he continues to show to all of us (especially the kids) in his generous ways.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAD!!!

1 comment:

Julie said...

Your dad is 82!