Friday, September 08, 2006

perfect in every way

I haven't really talked about the fact that Julie and I are expecting our third child very much. If this blog would have occurred when we were expecting Katherine, our first, I suspect it would've been the topic of many entries. Anyways, after yesterday, I figured it was a good chance to do just that.
We had our "big" ultrasound yesterday - the one when we could have found out whether we are having a boy or a girl. Much to Julie's consternation, we didn't find out... but that's another blog entry.
What amazed me yesterday was the commentary of the lady who was conducting the ultrasound. In the past, we had Mary - a sweet lady who was just kind of entertaining and comforting, but the lady who administered the ultrasound yesterday was more scientific in her analysis, but in a way, it was what Julie and I needed. As she viewed the various pictures of the baby, she would comment on what we were seeing, and almost every time, she would make some comment like "perfect size", "perfectly formed" or "developing perfectly". As she went through so many things - the bones, the kidneys, the four chambers of the heart, each lobe of the brain, and on and on, I began to realize how many things could be wrong with a baby. I realized how amazing it all is that these things form perfectly.
I also realized how blessed we were to have three beautifully, perfectly formed children. It is amazing what happens when a child forms, and when you really think about it, it is shocking how many things can go wrong during that growth. It makes me realized to see that God has blessed us two (almost three) times with this amazing handiwork.
This certainly isn't saying anything against special needs children, and I certainly see how God's work is alive and well in their lives as well, but to realize the many things that could happen, the difficulties that could occur as a child forms in its' mother's womb, makes me see God's hand clearly at work in our three children.

No comments: