Tuesday, July 25, 2006

lawn righteousness

While most of the rest of the world focuses their eyes, ears and concerns on the conflict in the Middle East, there is a conflict going on so much closer to home that has been much more of a concern to me. It is a conflict that, in my opinion, has been going on for about 5 years now - coincidentally enough, the same amount of time that we have lived in the house where we now live. Sometimes, in my pathetic opinion, it seems that the stakes in this other war are very great - even, perhaps greater than the stakes in the War on Terror. (For anyone who is offended, this is a joke) And, much to my dismay, I am on the front line of this confict. The conflict is the Great Lawn War.
Now, if you don't own a house, you've probably not been witness to this conflict. You see, the Great Lawn War is the war that I'm waging, and presently losing against my lawn. We had a really warm stretch of weather here last week, and my lawn has become a breeding ground for every species of crabgrass and clover that exists in the free world. It's quite frustrating, as I have made semi-consistent attempts to curb this stuff, and actually grow grass. But, to no avail, that is not what is in my front yard, my side yard OR my back yard.
OK, so why is this an issue? I hear everyone saying "JUST GET OVER IT ALREADY"! And, if it were that easy for me, I would. But, I find some sort of identity in my lawn. I want to be able to take credit for something beautiful that grows - showing that I've tended to it, that I've cared and nutured for it, and that in response to that nurturing, it's grown and is something that is beautiful for the world to see.
As we all do, I have somehow found some of my identity in the lawn that exists around my home. My righteousness is somehow intertwined with the green grass (or lack thereof) that lays on the banks of my front and back yard.
We all have these things.... things that we find our righteousness and worth in. Somehow, even though they are not particulary BAD things, they replace the things where our identity and righteousness should be. Will it ever change?

No comments: