Sunday, July 09, 2006

back to....

It's the last day of my 10 days away from work, and I would have never imagined that a vacation could have provided the basis for such an emotional rollercoaster return to work. Tomorrow, it's back to reality, and in all honesty, I go back with a lot of mixed emotions.
Most people would say I'm over-analyzing the simple task of returning to work, but those who know me well know that there is no such thing as a "simple task"! For me, each and every part of life is a process, a step in one direction or the other, and this is no exception. I've been a part of my family's life 24/7 for the last 10 days, and it's been a real experience. I've grown closer to everyone in my household, but I've also seen how everyone, especailly myself and my four-year old daughter, are sinners in need of constant redemption. For myself, no biggie - it's something I've always known. On the other hand, as far as my daughter goes, it's been a hard thing to swallow. She's four - I know that any and all behavior is expected, but it downright stinks to see how someone I love so much and so unconditionally, needs to lean and trust in a Savior as much as anyone. And, the struggle continues in that at four years of age, I wonder how much of that she can understand.
Which, leads back to my depravity, because I'm called to lead her to that redemption and point her towards Christ. I'm called to point her to the fact that God, not me, is the perfect father. That's something that is hard, because it points once again to my shortcomings.
So, it's not only back to work, it's back to the beginning. The beginning of my faith, a point where I need to remain, and I point where I need to point everyone in my house.

2 comments:

Russell T. Nolting said...

John, Great to find your blog. You know, as a father of girls, I have found vacations to be an awesome time to get to know them. Days off here and there just don't cut it. We get interrupted with phone calls, thoughts of work, our need to mow our crabgrass, etc. But when you can get away from it all, turn the phone off, and just spend a day with the girls, you really get to know them. I can point to three specific vacations that were turning points in my relationships with Sarah, Elizabeth, and Kate.

I wish you well with your Blog. I'll keep checking in...

Anonymous said...

Nice colors. Keep up the good work. thnx!
»