Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Change and Loss

Sean Lucas made an interesting point in Sunday School this past week. He was discussing "change" and how change can cause stress and conflict because it causes loss. That statement has amazing implications in my life the last few weeks. Change of administration is a loss on my part as far as the election goes. It was a very emotional loss too. The Obama win for President was quite an emotional and gut-wrenching experience for me - perhaps too much so in some ways, but it was, just the same. As time has passed, the emotion has subsided, but I remain wary of what is to come. There are many people around me, with many different opinions as to what is going to happen on many policy fronts, and I have to say that I suspect that NO ONE, including Obama himself, really knows how his administration is going to play out. I do think that over the next four years, I may become even more of a political junkie and advocate - continuing to be educated and knowledgeable.

Change and loss took on another form in my family this past week. My aunt, my Mom's sister, passed away. It was very sad to say goodbye to Aunt June - though we were not always close, mourning her loss so close in time to my Mom's loss has been a difficult thing. Truly, the loss of the two sisters who were at the heart of this family certainly causes loss and causes change.

No comments: